The Bolton Library contains thousands of manuscripts collected by Theophilis Bolton, the Archbishop of Cashel from 1730 to 1744.
There had been suggestions that the Bolton Library would be moved to the University of Limerick
However local Councillor Tom Wood is calling on the newly appointed Minister for the Office of Public Works Simon Harris to step in and have the OPW take over the collection and ensure it stays in Cashel.
The Independent Council points out that the Rock of Cashel takes in an estimated €1 million each year in admission fees with around half a million of that going to the state coffers.
Councillor Wood also suggests that the extremely rare collection of manuscripts could be housed in the former Civic Offices in Cashel which are now vacant since the formation of Tipperary County Council.